Question
Posted by: MSO | 2010/03/26

weaning

i have read many of your articles and still refer to them on the above but am confused. my baby is 7months old,i am introducing veggies before fruits as recommended but am wondering HOW TO COOK THEM,if i boil,i lose the vitamins,if i steam,when blending they dont as fine for baby to eat unless i add water.is this ok?

can she eat weetabix as i introduce cereals?when should i introduce brown porridge?(from millet flour)she is taking rice porridge for now.

when blending what can i add to the food to assist in softening it coz milk takes away the natural food am preparing

Dear Mso
Good to hear from you again. I am glad to hear that your baby is now eating rice porridge and cooked vegies. You can cook the vegies in a small quantity of water (don't add salt) and then use the cooking water to dilute the pureed vegies. In this way you retain most of the nutrients that pass into the cooking water. You can add boiled, cooled water to blended foods, but formula milk is also an option. I would wait until baby is a bit older before introducing Weetbix because this cereal has rather a high fibre content and it may be difficult for baby to digest so much roughage at this stage. If the brown porridge made of millet is not full of roughage (it should be more like the rice porridge) then you can try giving baby 1 teaspoonful to see how she reacts. Keep check of bowel movements and stop if the millet porridge causes the tummy to work too much or too often. There is plenty of time to get baby used to all these new foods.

1

Dear Mso