Question
Posted by: MSO | 2010/02/17

Weaning

I' d like to continue breastfeeding my baby for as long as possible.since i know my iron isnt enough after six months can i introduce milk formula at 6months (as i continue breastfeeding)then other foods at 10months? How long can i keep her on formula wtihout other foods?

Dear Mso
Babies need to be introduced to solid foods at the age of 6 months starting with very small portions of bland foods like rice porridge, cooked pureed vegetables, ect. You should not give a child only breast milk or formula after 6 months. Babies need to gradually get used to eating solid foods together with breast milk or formula so that:a) they can learn to eat foods, b) they develop skills like chewing, etc c) they don't develop deficiencies as you mention. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on "DietDoc's articles' and search for the 2 articles I have written on: "WEANING FOODS INFLUENCE THE REST OF YOUR CHILD’S LIFE " and "WHAT WEANING FOODS TO GIVE BABY" for additional information on weaning and introducing young children to eating a variety of solid foods. Article 65 is also useful. By all means continue to breastfeed as breast is still best, but rather provide your baby with the iron and other nutrients she needs after 6 months from standard foods.
Enjoy your baby

1

Dear Mso
Enjoy your baby