Question
Posted by: Michaila | 2011-01-18

Weakness

Why are some people weak, why does life get them down that they have to resort to drugs, suicide, depression?? I have been through a lot in life, my father doesnt care much for me and everyone favours my brother..I feel the hurt but I wont get all depressed about about.

My mother count afford to send me to college, I went out got a job and now im studying and due to graduate next year..
I dont feel sad about that.

I didnt turn out bad although I went to a school that wasnt that great, people did drugs and I just chose not to...

Why do some people just do it, get depressed and give up on life??

It's not that some people are weak. Some of those you might think of as strong are simply lucky. Yes, though we can't choose everything that happens to us, we can choose the attitude we will have about what happens. In terms of general attitude, yes, one can choose not to feel depressed about many things. But Depression is an illness involving brain chemistry, and events that go beyond what on can cope with by pure willpower. And one can no more choose to never be depressed than we can choose not to develop diabetes or dandruff.
Research sghows that when someone HAS become depressed, their perceptions of the world become distorted, they notice only the gloomiest aspects of it, and interpret everything in the gloomiest way.
Yes, some people catastrophize, and turn minor setbacks into major dramas. But that's a personality problem, not depression.
Congratulations on how well you have coped. Like the sayiong about "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade" you have learned to make the most of what there is

4
Posted by: truth | 2011-01-18

Stupid question, next.

Reply to truth
Posted by: Romany | 2011-01-18

It is not a question of " Why do some people get depressed" , it is a question of " Why are some people so blesses that they can handle everything live hands to them with a smile and never get depressed?" 
You are the fortunate one and may I say, the exception.
I (and many others) envy you.

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Maria | 2011-01-18

There are several factors at work here: the way you were raised, the experiences you''ve had, your attitude towards life and finally, genetics. Some people have a genetic predisposition towards illnesses like alcoholism and depression, just like other people have towards cancer and heart disease. This is not a moral weakness, and it doesn''t mean they will develop those illnesses, just that they are more likely to.

Reply to Maria