Question
Posted by: sweetcheeks | 2011/06/12

ways to improve egg quality

hi.
read that royal jelly,macca,co-q10,l-arginine can improve egg quality.i am 35.have a son who is 5 conceived thru ivf (2nd try)
Spent the last year at fertility clinic did one frozen in feb last year(thawed embryos from when i conceived my son.
did a new ivf in july last year got 7 eggs 7 fertilized put 2 in BFN
thawed in october again 2 got BFN .thawed in march again got a BFN. did new ivf in may/june this year only got 4 eggs all 4 fertilized
put 2 in BFN.big drop from 7 last year to 4 this year.
Doc is saying quality drop only issue most likely.thru all of of these i did accupuncture and took chinese tablets.lat cycle did moxa combustion which is supposed to be stronger than accupuncture.i ate healthy ,not a smoker or drinker.what next??i am changing clinic to get a second opinion.

Dear Sweetcheeks

There is no scientific evidence that the use of any of the medications that you mentioned such as royal jelly, macca, co-q10 and l-arginine definitely improves egg quality. We certainly know that from 34 onwards ones natural ability to conceive starts deteriorating simply because of a diminishing ovarian reserve and a poorer egg quality. The fact that you had 7 embryos last year and only 4 embryos this year does not necessarily mean that your egg quality has deteriorated but different cycles even within the same individual will result in different harvesting of follicles and therefore different quantities of embryos that can be achieved. If you have produced good quality embryos then would usually indicate that your egg quality was reasonable enough. Ask your fertility doctor if the embryos were of good quality and if they were of good quality then I am sure your eggs were reasonable as well. There are many causes as to why one does not conceive with IVF, many of these are not known. So don’t despair. You may want to consider the use of intra-lipid therapy in your next attempt.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

2
Posted by: Sweet cheeks | 2011/06/22

Hi thank you for your response
I have done intralipids on both ivf cycles,also I have read about dhea to improve quality?

Reply to Sweet cheeks
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/06/21

Dear Sweetcheeks

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert