Posted by: Tinyiko | 2009-09-22

Ways to conceive - HIV positive female

Hi Doc. I' m an HIV+ positive woman, and my partner is not. We would both like to have a baby and are considering seeing a specialist for this? Can we go to a normal gynae for this or do we need to see an HIV specailist. Also, besides the very expensive IVF (we' re both fertile), are there any other recommended methods that are safe for both the parents and the baby? Are there any South African websites I can visit for all this information as most of them seem to be overseas websites? Thank you.

You can have artificial insemination with your partner's sperm. This would be done by a fertility expert. The method is the same, whether you look at overseas websites or SA.