Posted by: BMJ | 2011-08-25

water retention

Dear Doc

I seem to be retaining water at the moment. I am a healthy 39y female. I am 15kg overweight. I have not recently eaten exessivly unhealthy - I eat normal everyday home cooked food (So I dont think my salt intake is more than usual for me). I drink at least 2l of fluid a day. When I wake up n the morning my face is puffy - especially my eyes and my hands.I definately notice a difference as the day progresss and by mid day I look normal again.

What could the cause be? Will a duiretic help and if so can you recommend one - especially that I can get OTC?

I think that your water retention is due to hormonal factors and I suggest that you consult your doctor for a full hormonal profile, to rule any abnormalities out. You can also ask your doctor for a prescription for a light diuretic, as diuretics are not available over the counter. Try your best to loose weight by following a healthy diet and to do at least 45 minutes of cardiovascular exercise, four times a week.