Posted by: Kaz | 2009-09-02

Water Retention

Hi, My husband is a renal patient and suffers from severe water retention in his ankles and legs. The skin stretches so much it looks like it' s going to split open and is covered in an angry red rash which is sensative to the touch.

Is there anything I can massage his legs with to bring down the swelling and ease the pain of the rash.

Hi Kaz
Massage won't help - the fluid is inside the cells. Does his doctor know how bad it is? He may need an increase in the dosage of his diuretic medication. It may help to elevate the legs.

Posted by: Jolene | 2009-09-02

Hi Kaz

I' m also a renal patient and I understand what your husband is going through.

I did not know how severe my problem was, my feet looked and felt like a baloon. My nefrologist then gave me a duretic and it makes a hell of a difference, at a later stage we add to up the dosage as well and things are going better now so he has dropped it again a bit.

Is your husband on a duretic (water tablet) perhaps chat to his doctor to see if they can up it a bit too. The water is vary dangerous as it does not only build up in your feet and legs, it builds up all over and it is dangerous for your heart.

What worked best for me was a just to keep my legs higher then the rest of my body and a little " foot roller/massager"  that I bought at the Body shop. I put it under my desk at work and roll my feet on it during the day it helps with the circulation.

I hope he gets and feel better soon.

Reply to Jolene