Posted by: petro | 2009-05-27

Water retention

Hi im struggling with water retention and it is really unpleasant. I eat very healthy and exercise daily and drink plenty of water (well that is the only liquid i drink) some days i dont even fit in my clothes and in the mornings my hands r so swolen that it really hurts. That is normal days, that time of the month it is very bad. Is there any thing i can do or medication that will help? I do eat alot of cucumbers as well but its not enough for all the swelling. im 1.7meter and weight is 55kg. Please if you can give me any information that will help.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Petro
One should first exclude common causes of water retention, like abnormal kidney function or early heart failure, or low protein levels in the blood. Your doctor will be able to check this with blood tests and a simple physical examination. If no treatable disease is found, he may be able to give you a prescription for a low dose diuretic you can use.