Posted by: claire | 2009-01-20

water retention?

just having read your reply to Kelly' s question about how much water to drink and water retention, would you say that 6 glasses of water is okay or could this very well increase water retention. i am on diet at the moment and have definately increased my water intake but dont want to retain water. how do you know you are retaining water and how do you get rid of it, water tablets? thanks doc

Dear Claire
If you drink those 6 glasses of water a day (about 1,5 litres?) and your total LIQUID intake (everything you drink all day long) does not exceed 2,5 litres (10 x 250 ml cups of liquid), then you are not overdosing on water. Water retention manifests by swelling of the ankles and hands, feeling puffy and no change in weight (even if you lose fat). Mild diuretics can help with this problem, so chat to your dr about it. He/she will be able to examine you and tell if you have water retention.

Posted by: Bernie | 2009-02-19

I have been battling to lose weight and have tried various diets. For the last 2 weeks I have had puffy fingers, and in the last 2 days I also noticed my ankles swelling. I have about 2 litres of water a day, as well as about 4 cups of rooibos black tea. It is extremely hot and humid in Durban and I try and keep cool by drinking water. I could be exceeding, but is this a serious condition I should need to see a doctor about, or can I just take a mild diuretic? Also is this available over the counter? I do have dried cranberries, and will make the water and berry infusion. When do I drink that? I am a type 2 diabetic as well.

Reply to Bernie