Posted by: Kiki | 2009-09-03

Water in take

I just wanted to check with you. I know I need to drink 6-8 glasses of water a day but in all honesty I find it a very difficult thing to do. My question is this: If I add 50ml of juice (I use the Liqui Fruit - Cranberry &  Apple) to 300ml water can I still count the 300ml water as actual water in take or is the addition of the juice taking away from the beneficial properties of the water?

I know that also means I will have at least a can of fruit juice a day but I can allow for the KJ in my diet.

Please advise.

Dear Kiki
You only need to drink 2,5 litres of LIQUID a day, even when you are slimming, so I hope you are not having an excessive liquid intake (8 glasses of water (8 x 300 = 2,4 litre) plus all the other beverages you may drink in a day)? Excessive liquid intake can lead to electrolyte imbalances because important minerals like potassium and sodium are washed out of the body, so please don't overdo your water intake. While drinking the correct amount of liquid a day is beneficial, drinking too much is harmful. If you find that your normal liquid intake per day falls short of 2,5 litres and you need to drink an additional glass or two of water you can certainly add a bit of fruit juice to it to make it taste better.