Question
Posted by: Lesego | 2012/04/04

Water in left lung

Hi Doctor(s)

Been so worried,my dad has been hospitalised for a week now,he was having difficulty breathing,he was checked for TB and tests came clean,he doesnt have TB.
He had to be checked further because he wasnt getting better,he was still coughing badly.Recently i was informed that he had lot of water in his left lung,1 litre of water was drained out of his lung and he is still being monitored in hospital

What could''ve caused that and how do we treat that to make sure that it wont happen again.(please advise)

Unfortunately i dont know what medication he is taking, he lives miles away from me,im in Jhb and he is back at home in Northwest and i pray to God that he is getting the best treatment.

Lesego

Lesego

Unfortunately, I am unable to comment on the cause for the fluid on his lung. Please ask the doctor who treated him for a diagnosis, as treatment and prognosis will depend on the diagnosis. If you are able to inform me about the diagnosis, I will be able to provide you with informed advice.

2
Posted by: Lesego | 2012/04/10

Hi Dr Anrich

I asked about the diagnosis as you requested,Dr said its PTB but apparIently the patient was treated for PTP in 2002,my question is still about water in the lung treatment now,how can that be managed and how is that related to pleural effusion?is PTB and pleural effusion one thing?

Lesego

Reply to Lesego
Posted by: Lesego | 2012/04/06

Hi Dr Anrich

unfortunately im not getting much from the doctor who''s treating him,he is also uncertain about what couldve caused water in the lung but what worries me is he is now putting the patient (my dad) on a TB treatment without confirming that he''s got TB-he was tested for TB and tests came negative,so why is he putting him on TB treatment?The Dr also mentioned that he was suspecting lung cancer but he told me that on test that were conducted there was no sign of cancer.Im very confused now.Im thinking of taking him to Flora clinic or Wilgeheuwel hospital as its close to where i live.

The doctor just mentioned that the lung has been damaged over a long time and he is not sure from when and what caused the damage.

Lesego

Reply to Lesego