Question
Posted by: nena | 2009/11/07

Water excercises

I am obese and would love to get fit but find it difficult to excercise in a gym. I joined but it is clear that the personal traininer (that I am paying for) has never been overweight in her life. (Expecting me to skip with a skipping rope and support my weight on my arms etc)

I have a swimming pool and live in a warm climate where we can swim 9 - 10 months per year. I am looking for a water exercise programme. I have a girlfriend that will join me and think this will be a better and safer option. Can u assist?

Thanx!

Hi Nena

Water based exercise is a great way to start. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with a personal trainer - even if she hadn't been overweight herself, her training should at least have equipped her to manage your situation better than she has.

I'm not sure I can give you a programme for the pool - it's not an area of expertise, I'll be honest. But what I would suggest is that you adapt a land-based programme to the pool. For example, if your trainer had to you doing 30 seconds of skipping, 1 minute rest, repeated 10 times, then that is pretty easily transferred into the water. So you do 30 seconds of pool running with 1 minute breaks.

Other options would include:
swimming lengths, using a range of different strokes, some using your arms, some with the legs,
getting yourself a kick board and then doing one length with the board, one length without.
Doing jumping jacks in the water,
running on the spot in the pool (not touching the ground, and touching the ground with your feet).

I think what you need to do is 'play', in that you can come up with exercises that you can do, like those I've listed above. The only other option is to ask a trainer (either the same one or a different one) for a pool based programme, because they should have one on hand. I unfortunately don't...

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/11/09

Hi Nena

Other options would include:
Doing jumping jacks in the water,

Reply to fitnessdoc