Question
Posted by: Annie | 2010/12/08

Water content of food

Hi, Doc

Do you perhaps have a list of the water content of fruits &  vegetables?

Dear Annie
Most fruits and vegetables have a very high water content which is why their energy values are relatively low. I don't have a list for you, but you can check on www.sahealthinfo.co.za and click on Nutrition which should give the moisture content per 100g. I can give you some examples: Fruit juices approx. 90% water; apples 84%; banana 74%; citrus fruits 90%; berries between 84 and 90%; green beans cooked 89%; carrot raw 88%; potato cooked 78%. The list is too long to include here, but on average fruits and vegetables contain between 75-90% water per 100g.

1

Dear Annie