Question
Posted by: L. | 2010-12-08

Water Consumption...???

I just need to know, I am a 28 year old femail and excersize for 30min per day. I am really thirsty all the time.

I drink about 4 to 5 liters of pure water a day, can it harm my body in anyway?

I do take a multivitamin every morning.

Dear L
Four to five litres of water a day is far too much liquid. Adults require a LIQUID intake of 2,5 litres (10 cups) a day. Liquid can include any type of clean water or coffee, tea, rooibos tea, milk, fruit juice (dilute the fruit juices so reduce the energy content), and cold drinks. Please try to reduce your liquid intake to the normal level because excessive liquid or water intake can lead to electrolyte imbalances and wash important minerals like potassium, sodium, magnesium and even calcium out of the body. If you are constantly thirsty then it may be prudent to have a medical checkup to see if there is not an underlying physical reason for your extreme thirst. Certain medications can also increase your thirst a great deal - if you are taking any medications discuss this effect with the dr when you have your checkup. You may require electrolyte supplements if you drink so much water every day.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-12-08

Dear L