Question
Posted by: Isabella | 2011-09-14

Water and weightloss

Dear Doc

I have recently become what some may call a serious aqua-holic after reading through the articals in the water centre. I was reading a specific atricle about a celebrity drinking 3 liters of water a day and that it is not advised. I my self however drink allot more water per day then just 3 litres. I average between 4 or 5 litre a day and a few cups of decaff coffee in the working hours.

I have been morbidly obese for about 3 years now, peaking at a scary 107kg, and havent been able to lose the weight no matter how hard I treid, despite tons of diets and even meds subscribed by my doctor. I have also done all the blood work tests to confirm that everything is working perfectly medically. Now I have been on my water obsession for two weeks and I have lost 4 Kgs (whoop whoop) and I feel absolutely great! I am not tired any more, my skin is loving this new lifestyle and I just feel overall better than I have in years. Only to learn that it can be dangerous to drink so much water due to it flushing away vital minerals etc. but i shudder to think of going through a day with out my 3 litres of water

Is there something i can do to keep drinking my water and not harm my health? I was wondering if it can help to take in vitamin supplements to compensate for the supposed " loss" , and if so, what supplements will I need?

I would really appreciate your help!

Kindest regards!

Dear Isabella
While I am glad that you have lost 4 kg, you have read the relevant articles about overdoing water intake and you know that you are potentially exposing yourself to the risk of electrolyte imbalances, which if they become serious, can even lead to fatalities. It is also not really going to help to take supplements of potassium, magnesium and calcium, and add more salt to your diet (to provide sodium), and continue to drink up to 5,5 litres of liquid a day because the supplemental minerals will just be excreted by the kidneys. I would strongly urge you to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can assess your condition and obesity and provide you with an individual diet prescription to help you lose weight. Please don't take the risk of exposing yourself to excessive liquid intake and get some professional assistance with your diet to lose that weight.
Take care

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-09-15

Dear Isabella
Take care