Posted by: Madelein | 2009-01-12

Water and Weight loss

Every where they tell you to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day to assist in weightloss, but when I drink that much water I tend to pick up weight. The days that I don't drink water I weight up to 2kg less than when I drank water.

Why is this? And can I do something about it?
(I am following a balanced diet and are going to the gym 6 days a week for 1 - 1 1/2 hours)

Madelein Louw

Expert ImageArchive

Hallo Madelein
If you want to lose weight, you have to drink enough water, your body needs it for your metabolism - rather measure yourself than weighing as your weight can be influenced by water that is still in your stomach ( 1 glass of water weighs 1/4 kg) but that does not mean that you don't lose fat. If you go to the gym regularly, you may be building some muscle tissue - this can also increase your weight but in the long term will help you lose weight as muscle tissue burns more fat than fat tissue!