Question
Posted by: Maria | 2008/10/21

Water and weight loss

I need to lose some weight and will make some changes to my eating patterns. I already drink about 1.5 litres of water a day as well as 2 or 3 cups of coffee/tea. Will drinking more water have any benefits? How much water is too much?

Dear Maria
As an adult you need about 2,5 litres of liquid a day - you are already drinking 1,5 L plus say 750 ml = 2.25 L per day, so you only need to have one more cup of liquid to reach your required volume. Excessive water intake leads to electrolyte imbalances (loss of vital minerals like potassium, sodium, magnesium and even calcium through urination) which can paradoxically cause water retention which will make you weigh more. Use a low-fat diet and daily exercise to lose that weight.