Question
Posted by: Nazneen | 2008/07/10

Water and calcium intake

I am a woman in my late 20's. I drink about 4 to 5 cups of Rooibos tea per day without milk and sugar. Sometimes I use artificial sweetner.

I have two questions. Do I drink too much tea and also I would like to know how many water I should drink in addition to the tea in order to take in enough fluids?

I also want to know how many calcium I should take in. I eat about 150ml low-fat yoghart per day and about 100ml of fat free milk with my cereal. Is it too little? How can I up my calcium intake without taking supplements?

Dear Nazeen
Basically adults require a total of about 2,5 litres of liquid a day. If we assume that the cups of rooibos tea you drink are each 250 ml, then the tea = 1,25 litres, plus 100 ml of milk = 1,35 litres. If you do not drink anything else like fruit juice or cold drinks then you would need to drink another 4-5 cups of water a day to reach the 2,5 litre level. I don't think you drink too much tea, esp as it is rooibos. As regards your calcium intake, one can estimate that each ml of yoghurt and milk will provide 1 mg of calcium, thus 250 ml (yoghurt + milk) = 250 mg of calcium. However adult women require 2000 mg of calcium a day to ensure that they do not develop osteoporosis in later life, so you need another 1700 mg of calcium a day. You could have another 2-3 cups of fat-free milk and/or yoghurt daily (this would up your iquid intake too), or take a calcium supplement like Calcium Sandoz or Caltrate to ensure that you ingest sufficient calcium for your needs.