Question
Posted by: H2O | 2009/12/06

Water aerobics safer for injuries?

I' ve been diagnosed with cervical spondylosis (C6/C7) and have been advised to change my exercise routine to be a lower impact routine. I used to attend Adventure Bootcamp for Women which is an intense outdoors cardio &  toning exercise outdoors. Due to my neck arthiritis, my doctor has asked that I do lower impact exercise &  recommended swimmine / water aerobics.

I am 29, 1.68m and 78kg - I normally attended bootamp 3 times a week. Do you believe water aerobics would be effective in terms of weight bearing exercise and a low impact version of exercise? How often should I do water aerobics and are there any alternatives I should consider? FYI - I love walking &  dancing :-)

Thanks!

Part of the 'energy demand' of exercise on land is the weight bearing, because the impact and the body weight add to the overall work that has to be done. The result is that switching programmes into the pool is not ever going to match up to what you could burn on land. However, the impact is lower and this is the positive difference between them. So there is compromise - you definitely benefit from the reduced impact, but you may lose out on the energy burned, because a pool session is not going to be as intense as a land one.

My suggestion would be to try the pool and see what it feels like. But, don't give up on walking altogether. Remember, you have come from high impact bootcamp drills, and so even walking represents a reduced impact exercise. And you love walking, so I'd say you should look at walking more. Add to that the pool work, and possibly something like stair climbing machine at the gym, maybe even cycling, and you have a programme that definitely will be effective and provide a lot of variety.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/12/11

Reply to fitnessdoc