Question
Posted by: Jane | 2011/03/24

WATER

Hi Diet Doc! I am 1.66m &  47.6kg (small bone struckture) - I would just like to find out how much water I should drink a day. Maybe 1.5l? Thanks!

Dear Jane
You don't mention how old you are and I cannot figure this out based on your height and weight. In general, adults are encouraged to drink 2.5 L of LIQUID a day. In other words, all the liquids you may consume in a day (tea, coffee, rooibos, milk, fruit juice, cold drinks, soda and bottled water, clean tap water) contribute to the daily intake. So if you drink about 1 litre (i.e. 4 cups)of other drinks (as listed) per day, then I would say that you can have 1.5 L of additional water daily. If you are an adult or a teenager, then your BMI of 17,2 is very low?? It would be advisable to increase your BMI to at least 21, for which you would need to weigh 58 kg.

1

Dear Jane