Question
Posted by: TUBBY | 2008/05/30

WATER

Hi Dr
I'm well aware that one needs to drink 6 - 8 glasses of pure water a day excluding the water you drink at the gym but I am struggling to do this so I have started adding 100ml pure orange juice or 100ml lite ice tea to the water to give it some flavour. Does this count? Do you have any other ideas besides a slice of lemon?
Tubby

Dear Tubby
It is not necessary to drink 6-8 glasses of water a day in addition to the water you drink at the gym. The general recommendation for adults is that we should drink 2,5 litres of LIQUID a day (this includes water, tea, coffee, milk, fruit juice, cold drinks, energy drinks, and any other drink you may ingest). If you are drinking other liquids during the day and having drinks at the gym, then it is not necessary to have another 6-8 glasses of water as this can be potentially harmful. Excessive water intake can wash important minerals out of the body (e.g. sodium, potassium, magnesium and even calcium) and lead to electrolyte imbalances or 'water intoxication'. So by all means drink some water to ensure that you ingest 2,5 litres of LIQUID a day, but don't overdo the water drinking. You can add orange juice or lite ice tea to water or just drink these beverages instead of water.

3
Posted by: steve | 2008/06/02

About time that this fixation about having to dk 6-8 glasses of water is shown as a falacy. In fact - a recent program on DSTv food channel showed how tests actually indicate that water is not the answer - but rather soup !

Reply to steve
Posted by: TUBBY | 2008/05/30

Hi Candy
Thanks for that, have tried that but it doesnt last long then Im back to my old habits....Forgot to tell the doc that the 100ml of Juice etc is added to a 750ml bottle hope she reads this part..
Thanks again...
Tubby

Reply to TUBBY
Posted by: Candy | 2008/05/30

Hi Tubby.

I also HATE water, I HATE the stuff, I would prefer coke coming out of my taps at home!!!!

But if I may give you some advice. I stared on a diet about 2 months ago and have to drink 3 liters of water a day. For someone that hates it as much as I do, it is a great challenge. But this is what I do. I bought myself a 500ml bottle of water and kept the bottle. In the morning when I wake up, I drink one bottle. I just look up at the ceiling and down it. I live about 15 min drive from work and on my way I drink another bottle. When I get to work, I make myself a cup of tea and drink another bottle. That is 1 and a half liters gone by 9am. Then I just fill my bottle every time I go to the loo, which is often. 3 More bottles and your 3 liters for the day is done. I prefer drinking all during working hours, otherwise I have to get up too much at night. So, with my water done, I can have Sprite Zero with supper instead water.

If you have to sit in traffic in the morning, just drink a bottle when you get up, and then your next one when you get to work. Try and drink another before 11. Then fit in another 3 before home time. I find that this really works for me. I battle to drink water, but this seems to do the trick. Also, if you don't feel like drinking water first thing in the morning, just try and get 3 bottles down by 12 and then another 3 before hometime. You will see how easy it is. Don't buy a 2 liter or 1.5, that makes it seem as though you have SO MUCH to drink. The small bottles makes it seem less severe. hehehe

I really hope you find the info helpful. I realize your post was directed at Doc, but I just thought I would share my experience with you.

Good luck, I really hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Keep well!!!! x

Reply to Candy