Question
Posted by: Gogga | 2009/04/21

washing fruit/veg

What is the best way of washing fruit and veg? I usually just rinse them under the tap but now I' m wondering if that' s good enough to remove germs and dirt.

Dear Gogga
Generally speaking it is sufficient to rinse fruit and vegetables under clean running water to remove visible dirt and most contaminants. If you live in an area that has health problems (e.g. cholera) you may need to make a diluted solution of Milton or Jik (1 t per 5 litres) and soak your fruit or vegies for about 10 min to kill bacteria. Use a clean nail brush to scrub off visible dirt.