Posted by: shaveen | 2011-06-23

Was my boerboel poisoned

Last week when i got up i found my dog limping and walking, his front paw looked sore so i rubbed is and bandaged it, i noticed that he was drooling alot but that was common with boerboels, i also noticed that he had eaten a pigeon that night. The stop eating and his back leg started to limp and soon he was mobile and not eating just drinking lots of water. he lost alot of weight and i took him to the local SPCA and they examined him but didnt listen to my explanation and told me that they cant find a problem and he is so weak to treat n i should do the right thing and put him down, his temperature was 39,9 and had a high heart rate. Please help me understand what had happened to my dog cause i feel they never give me any answers to justify putting my dog down.

Hi Shaveen

Sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on what happened at the SPCA as I have no knowledge of your case. The SPCA is a fantastic welfare organisation and I am sorry that they could not identify and treat the problem.

Again I am sorry for the loss of your beloved pet.

Dr Campbell

Posted by: shaveen | 2011-06-24

Im finding it very difficult to get through this period but thank you for your answer.take care.

Reply to shaveen
Posted by: Chill | 2011-06-23

Well - from your description he was certainly very ill, but unfortunately it''s hard to tell what exactly might have been wrong with him. I suppose it could have been poison, but it could also have been some organ failure, or an infection that he couldn''t fight by himself.

It''s very sad when this sort of thing happens... but of course, the people who should be providing you with answers are the people who saw the dog, ie the SPCA vets.

I''m sorry your dog died.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: shaveen | 2011-06-23

He was 7years old but he was still healthy and had not problems with arthritis. He was very active and weighed 50kgs but lost about 10kgs over the 3days he was not eating.

Reply to shaveen