Question
Posted by: Trina | 2012/05/10

Was it drugs + alcohol or is there a subconscious msg?

HI CS

Last night I had about 10 nightmares - all linked. Each time I woke from the one nightmare it wld be with thudding heart, racing thoughts and extremely tight chest. I would then calm myself down and eventually fall back to sleep. Then the nightmare would continue - the storyline would just pick up where it left off. It was awful.

The storyline was that of my ex who I left about a month ago, after ten years in his life - a decade of nothing but hurt, belittling and repeat rejection. In the dreams, he was in various states of peril and angst. Even when he was supposedly happy in the dreams (i.e in one scene he had found a new gorgeous girlfriend everyone was admiring) there was always terrible unhappiness etched on his face. I must have awoken ten times and each time just went back to dreaming about him in some sort of sad or traumatic situaiton. The first few nightmares were all about a terrible wind blowing against him, so violent it could pull his skin off. Every time I awoke I would fall back to sleep and there he would be again, the cruellest of winds blowing against his very life. I was in every scene of the dream and suffering along with him too but the winds were most violent when they blew against him. but I was there thruouot, I never left him and was always trying to help or protect him, in every scene, altho there were other ppl who needed help too. I was also there when he found the new girlfriend and even then, he was suffering somehow. It was all very disturbing. My brain was so active during the night, I am completely exhausted thiis morning and woke up with a horrid headache from excessive brain activity.

Rather than make any sense of why I dreamt my ex is so unhappy (his real-life situation is a picture-perfect one with a gorgeous woman in it, huge mansion, he has his own extremely successful company etc), could you tell me maybe if the fact that I drank quite a bit last night and then took my usual Seroquel, might have compromised my quality of sleep to the extent of such vivid nightmares? Is the mixing of the drug and alcohol to blame (I in fact took the Seroquel with the alcohol) or did I just have those vivid dreams for another reason altogether?

Trina

Isn't it a pity that its rarely practical to return to where you left off when you wake from a really NIOCE dream ?
A bad and chronically hurtful Ex is also a bad habit, and it takes time to fully shake loose from him and from recollections of him.
Sometimes you can shape such continuing dreams, thinking firmly during a wakening phase about how you'd slap his face or his marvellous new conquest would shrivel into a small white rabbi, or whatever - surprisingly often that extra element camn turn up in the dream.
The sequence of dreams may represent, amongst random elements, aspects of things you have brooded about, since separating from him, such as a concernt that he might be damaged by this, or that he'd find someone new and better.
SOme of us tend to dream more vividly when on some ADs, and sleep tends to be more disturbed after alcohol ; and alcohol plus ADs is not a recommended combination.

1