Posted by: Tahra | 2009-09-14

Was diagnosed almost 5 years ago with Postnatal depression

I was diagnosed with Postnatal Depression when my son was 9 months old. I have been Lilly Fluoxetine ever since. My son turns 6 in Feb 2010 and I would like to have another child within the next year.

I have approached my GP and told her that I want to wean myself off the drug so that I can have another baby. She strongly suggests that I stay on the medication as the chance of a relapse are great and she says that taking Lilly Fluoxetine during pregnancy if fine. She has also suggested that I go and talk to my gynae about this and see what he has to say.

I want to know if I should go off the medication or rather stay on it as I would hate to have to go through all that trauma that I went through 5 years ago. I affect my health and how I felt about being a mom, I had severe anxiety attacks and battled to sleep, I also suffered a lot with stomach problems and lost a lot of weight in that time.

Please could you advise me what I should do, I am not 30 years old and would love to have a little girl in the near future.

Thanks for your help in advance
Tahra Holloway

Dear Tahra
If you are stable on your current medication, I would not change your medication or stop it. It will be more harmful for the new baby ( and the current 6 year old) to have a mom with post natal depression!