Question
Posted by: Mo | 2011/01/05

Warfarin and pregnancy

Hi Doc. I am 37 and have had 3 episodes of DVT which resulted with my Dr deciding that I''ll have to be on lilelong warfarin. She has advised that should I fall pregnant then I would have to switch to Clexane, which is very expensive. I recently needed to go on it and 12 X 80mg was about R1600.00. I would not be able to afford Clexane for 9 months. Is there a cheaper alternative?

Staying on Warfarin throughout the pregnancy would be an alternative, though there are more risks to the fetus than with Clexane. There are a variety of Clexane -like drugs, e.g. Fragmin. I am not sure if this would be any cheaper.

2
Posted by: Kyla | 2011/01/18

I am currently on Clexane for 9 months at a high cost of R1700 every 10 days. The dispensing fee is also very high and medical aid does not cover that.

If you are on a medical aid, you need to have your doctor fill out a form that tells your medical aid that you need to be on Clexane as there is no other alternative medication available. Your medical aid has to approve the medication under the Prescribed minimum benefits. THey have to also pay for all doctors visits as your pregnancy will be classified as a high risk prenancy. Do not take no for an answer. They will try and reject it as they did mine, but luckily my dad is in the medical field and knows the law and after he wrote a letter they had to say yes. DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER.

Your baby could be born with serious birth defects if you remain on Warfarin and my doctor wanted me to abort as I had been on Warfarin for 1 month when I fell pregnant! I went for a 2nd opinion and the doctor said that if there was a heart beat I could carry on with my prenancy and there was and today I have a healthy beautiful 3 year old baby boy!!!!

Kyla

Reply to Kyla