Question
Posted by: sue | 2013/02/01

warfarin and exercise

Hi there, I''m struggling to find info on how much and what exercise is safe if on warfarin. Everyone has a different opinion. From what I have read its just the anaerobic exercise eg. weightlifting that is dangerous as it causes a rise in blood pressure. Is this correct? Would this include doing push ups and squats etc?

Expert ImageBiokinetics expert

Hi Sue,

Yes, when on warfarin, strength exercises are the ones we need to be cautious with, specifically with exercises that cause you to raise your arms above your shoulders...

I would suggest that you refrain from pushups, 1/4 squats are fine, and do other BASIC strength exercises which dont elude you to raise your arms above your shoulders as this can increase blood pressure.

All the exercise that you do should be of a mild-moderate intensity...(aerobic, anaerobic, flexibility, etc)

Regards,
Habib