Question
Posted by: tony | 2012-09-27

warfarin

I am a cyclist , have had a stent implant several years ago , few months ago had multiple pulmonary embolii and on warfarin since then , I am training again . Question being can I use products such as eg cytomax , epic, whey protein etc, etc

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Tony

Two questions: why did you have multiple pulmonary emboli, and how long do your doctors think you should take warfarin? If your pulmonary emboli occurred in the context of an accident or surgery then you may need to take warfarin only for six months. Alternatively, if you have a clotting factor abnormality, you may need to take it – or one of the newer anti-clotting drugs - for life.

I am not familiar with Cytomax, Epic, whey proteins and other similar supplements. To my knowledge there is no reason why you should not use them while taking warfarin, but bear in mind that many drugs, supplements and foods may affect the metabolism of warfarin. To be on the safe side, it is better to keep your diet and medication as constant as possible. If you are going to make changes, eg add a new supplement or stop an existing one, then please be sure to have your INR checked a week after making the change.

It is usually when people’s diets or medication change that problems arise with warfarin. The fewer changes in your diet and medication, the less risk there is of unwanted and potentially dangerous changes in your INR.

The newer anti-clotting drugs like dabigatran and rivaroxaban will be much easier to use than warfarin. Not only can they be taken without the need for regular blood tests, but they also have less risk of clashes with other drugs

Best wishes, JT

1
Posted by: peanut | 2012-10-10

hello i suggest that you should see your health to be more important than sport. slow down and take up soemthing less stressfull than cycling and all kinds of funny drugs to boost ye abilities.

Reply to peanut