Question
Posted by: rc | 2008/09/29

wanting to loose tummy fat

Vaneesa

please assist me , what is best foods to eat ? as i want to loose a bit of tummy excess ...dont really have a tummy , but a bit bigger there , which worries me
what type of ecercise ? i dont attend a gym , but do walk for 15 minutes a evening ....should i start slow jogging instead of walking ? can you recommend a good healty eating habbits , what type of foods ?

i am + 45 ! , healty , but am health conscious

regards

Rc

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Rc

To loose body fat you need to be in a slight negative energy balance – that all depends on your weight, daily activity and daily exercise. Divide that figure in 6 meals per day – always a balance of lean protein (chicken without the skin / fish / ostrich) and low GI Carbs (lentils + brown rice / pulses / barley / rolled oats / quinoa apple). Since I have too little info to calculate your energy need the easy way out is to eat half a cup of oats in the morning with skimmed milk, and for the other meals eat half a cup of carbs with a small portion of protein e.g. small chicken breast / half a tin of tuna in brine / 4-6 egg whites. Add lost of veggies to fill you up and eat a fruit or two per day. Don’t forget the water!

Re the training you will have to step-up the effort – aim to eventually do 45 minutes 5 times per week and you have to break a sweat – you heart has to pound when you perform your exercise – jogging is better than walking, but make that you goal not your starting point.

Hope this helps a bit – GOOD LUCK!
Vanessa