Posted by: Bee | 2009-01-29

Want Twins

I am planning on starting a family soon but would like to have twins. I have heard of fertility treatments that can make this possible. Can you please enlighten me and how much do these treatments costs.

Dear Bee

Whatever method of fertility treatment you use there will be no guarantee of multiple pregnancy since it is extremely difficult to predict if all embryo that are transferred to the uterus will in fact implant. However, it is also well accepted that fertility treatment involving ovulation is associated with a higher multiple pregnancy rates and the choice of treatment would vary depending on how eagerly you require a twin pregnancy. The most likely option would be to consider in-vitro fertilization with a transfer of more than one embryo. The approximate cost of such a program would vary between R12000 and R25 000 at our centre.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim