Question
Posted by: ANON | 2012/07/16

WANT TO STOP

Hi i want to stop smoking, but dont wait to do it with the aid of a tablet. I did before with Zyban but then had to have anti anxiety medication on top of that as i was freaking out. Sadly i started smoking again a couple of months later. I went and got Zyban again but the first day i took it i got all those side effects again so I stopped taking it. I generally am a panicker and have panic attacks/ anxiety. So i want to stop but i am so scared to stop. I think about it everyday but just cannot and then i have the first one!!

Expert ImageStop Smoking Advice

Zyban can be a helpful stop-smoking aid, but unfortunately can cause anxiety in some people. It's worth considering all the aids available though, and find if one or more may work for you. If you are set against taking tablets, consider nicotine patches or gum, and consider joining a stop smoking support group or programme (there are online options too). Please also consider talking to your doctor or therapist about managing your anxiety, which you may well be trying to 'treat' with cigarettes. Don't be discouraged by starting to smoke again: most successful quitters try several times, using several methods, before they give up for good.

6
Posted by: Ayanda Fiko | 2012/09/06

I have been a smoker since 2005 - I quit, cold turkey - am on 15 days now. It was only the first 4-5 days that were the most difficult.

I think it''s only possible to truly quit when you realise how much irreversible the harm becomes with each cigarette and once you realise YOU ARE NOT REAPING ANY BENEFITS from the constant dragging, pay attention to a random cigarette from light till you drop the filter and ask yourself, how much pleasure did I get from that?

I know I won''t be going back, I don''t know if I will have days where I light up one, but the HABIT in itself, I''m not going back - in the past I used to fall back to it when during drinking sessions - I have been avoiding drinking since I quit but I won''t consider myself as a smoker again if I smoke when I drink - it''s a step in the right direction.

Remember: With every try you''re getting closer to perfecting the " non-smoker"  status.

Good luck - not that you''ll need it. You have to be mentally strong to fight what your body tells you.

Reply to Ayanda Fiko
Posted by: Netta | 2012/07/30

Good day. My daughter wants to stop and also don''t want to taka Zyban. I phoned arround, but they have discountioned the Nicorette Patches. What else will you sugest, expect the gum. Many thanks

Reply to Netta
Posted by: Stop Smoking Advice | 2012/07/23

Reply to Stop Smoking Advice
Posted by: Anon 2 | 2012/07/20

You can start by reducing the number every day you''ll see the difference. I was lucky coz even my lungs the doctor said they are still fine. I was scared that they might be damaged already. Every time you smoke think of how are your lungs doing, think about the benefits of stoping. You can do this I promise you....just one day at the time don''t be too hard on yourself

Reply to Anon 2

Thanks Anon always good to hear from others. Well done that is fantastic. Well I wish I only smoked 5 per day but i am way more than that 20 at the most per day. I know it is doable but i am scared. Thanks for the advice it is a help. I will keep this in mind.

Posted by: Anon 2 | 2012/07/20

Hi Anon I''m also trying to stop and I went to the doctor trying to get a prescription but he just said I don''t need any medication to stop smoking because I''m not smoking a lot any way (2-5 a day). He gave me a prescription but when I got to the phamarcy they told me that medical aid doesn''t pay for it and its R400!! I left without buying any medication and waisted my medical funds for nothing. I just went straight 2 pick n Pay and bought a 2litre bottle of still water and drank lots of water since then. I am so determined to stop every time I get cravings I just drink water and always have chewing gum. So far it helps I''m proud to say that its now day 5 without smoking and the cravings are a lot better now even though I have withdrawal symptoms.

I know I''m not helping you here but what I''m saying is that it is doable. I remind myself all the time that all these sypmtoms will stop one day and its for the best so I can''t touch another cigarette

Reply to Anon 2