Question
Posted by: Bonny | 2008/10/06

Want to start yoga

I recently joined a gym and would like to join the yoga class they offer, but they dont have a begginers class and I have never done yoga before. I am quite stiff and unfit even though I am only 23, and am worried about embarrasing myself.

I would like to know if you have any advice for me?

Thank-you

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Bonny,
Speak to the teacher at the gym to let her know you are a beginner and to get some tips for you to be aware of through the class. You won't embarrass yourself - because everyone will be focussed on having their own experience and in the true nature of yoga which is non-comparative and non-competitive, won't be noticing you. :)
If you prefer, you could research a beginners yoga class at a studio nearby you - the classes may be smaller and more personalised, and beginner focussed.
Yoga is not something you do when you are fit and flexible, it is something that will give you flexibility and fitness over time with patience and humillity, begin the journey and enjoy the process!

2
Posted by: JVO@wp | 2009/01/21

I am a heavely over weight man .I am about 180 + kg and am 1,85m .My wife wants to start doing yoga and she wants me to do it with her .Will it be good for me to start with her at this weigth I am on a low GI diet on the moment and doing a little walking with my dogs everyday .

JVO

Reply to JVO@wp
Posted by: td | 2008/10/06

I started the same place as you! believe me, it' s not as difficult as you think! it' s pretty easy and usually the instructor is very patient and helpful. don' t be shy! go for it! you' ll be so glad you did!
and with a few classes behind you - you' ll feel fitter and more flexible! i promise!!

Reply to td