Question
Posted by: cresy | 2010-09-26

want to loose weight

i am so big, i want toloose weight. i dont like myself..

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Cresy,
Thanks for your question, and it's a good first step towards making a change. Okay, so you want to lose weight. You say that you are "big", so I will assume that you are overweight or more. If you want to lose weight, do so in a sensible manner. In that respect, approach the DietDoc forum for a referral, unless you already know of a good registered dietician. Do not attempt to lose wieght rapidly by trying some fad diet. BE SENSIBLE. There are no miracle diets and no fast track diets. Slow is good, and be guided by a registed professional rather than some quack who promises you that their injections of potions will offer you quick results. Okay, enough on that - I do go on a bit. Now the part where I come in: You say you don't like yourself. Well, you don't say why you dislike yourself. Are you suggesting it's because you are "big"? If that's the case, losing weight will likely help you to feel physically better and more empowered, and yes, you might even feel more confident. However, losing weight will not, in itself, make you like yourself and end all your problems. I say this because you must have a realistic expectation towards losing weight and not think that it will answer all your personal problems. However, taking charge of your physical health is one important step in the right direction. If you can enter into therapy and be supported through your weight loss, and also explore what factors led to you gaining weight in the first place, that would be useful. Therapy also helps to get over whatever resistance you might meet if you struggle to lose weight. It's amazing how many of my patients who come to me to lose weight reach a point where it becomes a little frightening and leaves them feeling vulnerable and exposed emotionally. You didn't say too much in your question, so elaborate in a new question if you want to share or ask more. Good luck.
Regards,
Graham

2
Posted by: Gordon | 2010-10-01

I''m a 62 year old male, height 1,75m weighing 115 kgs. I need to lose 40 kgs but am battling to lose any weight. I''ve stopped drinking beer 3 months ago and am trying to eat sensibly but it''s not working. What can I do? I need some sensible advice.

Reply to Gordon
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010-09-27

Hi Cresy,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert