Question
Posted by: MON | 2009-06-04

WANT TO LOOSE WEIGHT

Hi I am a 42 year old lady that' s battling to loose weight. When I was younger I didn' t had this problem at all. I check what I am eating and am on eltroxen at this stage. I' ve stopped smoking 2 month' s ago and people say that makes you metabolism slowwer? I am also expering problems with my stomach, am constipated, blowted and experience a lot of pain sometimes. Can you advise me what to do to loose weight. I' ve picked up 8 kg and can' t loose it at all. This makes me very depressed.

Dear Mon
I just replied to your previous posting, so do read what I advised. Now that you mention that you also experience constipation and bloating, I would also recommend that you ask the dr to check if you have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). If you do suffer from insulin resistance (as mentioned in my prior answer) or IBS, then you need to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www..org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because in both cases, diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. When you are on the Diet site, also do a searche with "Irritable Bowel Disease" and click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’ to obtain some background information.