Posted by: Bob' s Girlfriend | 2009-02-13

Want to have dog " fixed" 

My daughter has a little MinPin which she loves dearly. He is now nearly 1 year old and we want to have him " fixed"  but it costs over R600 at the local vet for a male little dog.

Can one not have it done at the SPCA or somewhere else?

Her last dog was killed when it got out (and yes we have doors and gates but they are very fast) I dont want it to happen to this one.

Thank You

Dear Bob's Girlfriend

Some people feel that vets should not ask money for what they do. We are not charity workers that have no bills to pay. These same people often moan about the quality of service they get if they go to a vet as a last resort. The problem is that a lot of very good vets work overseas. They do not have to deal with people who are looking for a cheap and cheerfull service.

Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-02-13

Also some vets will allow people to pay it off in instalments. Check if yours does this.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-13

Hear hear, Mandi - quite right.

It' s really not fair to expect the SPCA or other welfare organisations -who exist largely because of donations - to finance this for everyone who doesn' t feel like coughing up.

I don' t know your circumstances, Bob' s Gf - but just a few sacrifices along the lines of Mr Delivery or pizza take-aways would go a long way to resolving this cost...

Having said that, not all vets charge the same, nor are they all as unsympathetic or outspoken as the cvet - some actually do understand that not everyone is in the same financial circumstances, and charge quite reasonable rates. Phone around a bit and find out!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Mandi | 2009-02-13

Having dogs neutered/spayed is part of the joys of pet-ownership and should be considered before a pet is bought.

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: lisa | 2009-02-13

look up the number for PETS and phone them, they should be able to help you at a discounted rate. they are, however, in somerset west. but they will charge about R200

Reply to lisa