Posted by: Sibu | 2010-11-18

want to have a baby

I want to have a baby but I am HIV, and had an ectopic pragnancy at some stage. so what are the chances?

Dear Sibu

It is possible for you to have a baby although being HIV positive. However there are some important things to iron out first. Firstly you need to find out of your partner is HIV positive or not. Different modalities of treatment will depend on whether your partner is positive or negative. There is always a chance of transmission of the virus from you to the unborn baby if a pregnancy occurs however this transmission rate can be markedly reduced by certain steps and treatments taken during your pregnancy. The ideal time for you to try and conceive is when your CD4 count is high and your viral load is undetectable. It is also important to find out if your other fallopian tube that is left behind is functional and whether there are any problems with your husband or partner’s semen parameters. I suggest you see a fertility clinic where all the following can be taken care of and treatment can be instituted.

Answered by Dr Dasoo