Question
Posted by: DJ | 2009-01-23

Want to have a baby

I am going on 42 have 3 health kids aged 22, 15 and 12. I got divorced 10 years ago and has been in a steady relationship for 5 years. I am financially stable with both of us having good jobs. I got sterilised 12 years ago but had an etopic pregnancy in 2005. We have both decided that we want to have a child - I am just scared that I might not be able to conceive and my age?????

Please advise

Dear DJ

It is not impossible to conceive at your age. However, it is very important to note the following. Firstly, the ability of one to conceive starts deteriorating from the age of 38 and starts increasing exponentially as one gets older. The incidence of chromosomal abnormalities and will also increase as one gets older than 37. Another important thing to note is that the miscarriage rate at this age is very high. From the brief history you have given, your choice of trying to conceive would require Invitro-Fertilisation. Even with Invitro-Fertilisation, the success rate at 42 is quiet low. If one can accept all of the above and one would still like to have children then you should try and attempt it as soon as possible.