Question
Posted by: tah | 2009/10/28

want to get fit and lose weight

I recently got a treadmill to help me lose weight. Currently I my BMI is 38! Never have i ever been this heavy. I would like to know how many hours a day do I need to be on the treadmill and at what speed for burning calories. I have a low calerie diet to follow - I know that is important when combing with exercise. I just need to know how long each day I need to run or speed walk in order to actually lose weight.
Many thanks

Hi Tah

Well, I think that given that you're starting from scratch, it's best to begin with walking. Well, actually, the first thing is to get medical clearance for exercise, better safe than sorry.

Once that is obtained, then the training can begin, and the operative word is caution. You must err on the side of caution and make sure that you don't train too hard too early, because this leads to discouragement, injury, fatigue and burnout. And the key thing, without any doubt, is that whatever you start now in November must continue until next year November, not January!

So sustainability is vital! My advice is to check out the programme on the Fitness page of this site, click on "programmes" and then choose the walking/running programmes, going for the 5km programme, or maybe the 10km programme.

That's a starting point. really, the best thing would be start under the supervision of someone who can observe and guide what you are doing, modify the programme if needed. That's always the best thing, otherwise you're kind of hoping that 'one size fits all' fits for you! And I can't be specific over this forum, but it might be what is required!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/10/29

Hi Tah

Reply to fitnessdoc