Question

Want to get a puppy for my grandmother - Advice Please

My grandmother is in her 70s and lives alone. She has been very lonely &  this depresses her. Unfortunately family live far away and she refuses to leave her home and move in with anyone.

I am seriously thinking of getting her a dog. I know having a pet around could be a good thing for her. I was thinking that she should have a dog that is small and easy to maintain.

What would be the best dog to get for her. I would like to get a puppy instead of a grown up dog. What would be an ideal pet for an old lady?

Thank you.

Dear Anon

A maltese poodle.

6

A yorkie is ideal too

Posted by: Big Dog lover | 2009-08-01

If your grandmother wants a puppy there a few things to consider. Make sure she is able to look after him + do all the chores that go with managing a puppy. Stay away from high energy breeds like Boxers, Dobies, GSD' s, Rotties, Border Collies + even Labradors. They all need a lot of exercise + most of these breeds r very boisterous as puppies. Pugs + Bulldogs make good house pets + as puppies r not overly boisterous. Bullmastiiffs r excellent house dogs + are very " rustig"  when grown up but due to their size will most likely be too much for her to handle. One could even consider a Daschund, they r also good house dogs.

Reply to Big Dog lover
Posted by: Bob | 2009-08-01

My aunt in her 60' s lives alone + has a Jack Russel spayed bitch which she got as a pup 3 yrs ago. Bibi is so after my aunt that wherever she moves Bibi is there with her. No stranger can come near my aunt. Recently her son moved to a town house + my aunt took over their 4yo. spayed GS. The dogs get on fine + my aunt now has 2 protectors + the 3 of them r good company. Make sure though that your grandmother wants a pup + is able to do the looking after. If this si the case then go 4 it.

Reply to Bob
Posted by: Chill | 2009-07-31

Oh geez, I wonder when Health24 is going to grow up and let us type about c_o_c_k_atiels without going all coy...

(wonder if this will work!)

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Chill | 2009-07-31

Without knowing your grandmother, it' s impossible to say - does she have any experience with dogs?

Either way - you absolutely MUST consult her before you commit her to a lifestyle change that may well be more radical than she wants to cope with.

If she' s reluctant or lacks dog-experience, then consider a cat - or even a bird: they make very good pets, are easier to take care of, and come with far less baggage. A -|- atiel, for example, makes a mighty cute pet, and can serve a very great purpose in taking away a feeling of loneliness.

Reply to Chill

A pug, very lovable and loves to be loved. Easy to train. Not hyperactive at all.