Posted by: tsitso | 2009-04-17

want to gain weight - vitamin

hi, im HIV+ and want to gain weight my doctor recomended Pariatin as i dont have appetite but when i use it i develop sores all over my body. im not yet on ARV as my CD4 count and Viral load still ok. i tried multivitamins but makes me to vomit what can you suggest i can take to have an appetite?

Dear Tsitso
If the medication prescribed by the doctor causes sores all over your body and multivitamins make you vomit, I must recommend that you go back to the dr and discuss these problems with him/her because the dr needs to decide which medications you may or may not use in the case of HIV+. The correct diet can make a great difference to your overall health and immunity. You can contact the SA Sugar Association to obtain their Booklet on 'Food Choices for People Living with HIV' from The Nutrition Department, SA Sugar Association, P O Box 700, Mount Edgecombe, 4300, or phone: (031) 508-7000, or send an e-mail to: for excellent information on diets for HIV.