Question
Posted by: Shoes | 2010/09/27

Want to gain weight

Hi Doctor,

I have read about a carbo booster formula. Can you please tell me the brand name as I would like to try it?

I am 1.83m tall and weigh 58kg. I swim 2kms four times a week. I eat oats porridge for breakfast, a snack of two slices of toast with peanut butter on at about 11am. For lunch I either have last night''s dinner left overs (pasta, stew or cottage pie) or three slices of toast with jam on.

I snack on fruit during the afternoon, either an apple, banana or an orange, with a piece of chocolate. I try to drink at least 1.5lt of water daily, with about two cups of rooibos as well.

Dinner is as above, pasta with mince, stew with vegetables or cottage pie. I sometimes have a dessert, with a cup of hot milk.

I have an under active thyroid, so I cannot understand why I am struggling to pick up weight. Perhaps I have a fast metabolism. I wake up starving in the morning, even though I have eaten well the night before.

Please help me to gain weight.

Thank you for your time.

Dear Shoes
With a BMI of 17,3 you are indeed underweight and it would be good if you could increase your body weight to at least 67 kg so that your BMI could be back in the normal range, namely 20. It is indeed strange that you have such a low body weight if you have an underactive thyroid. Perhaps you should have your thyroid function retested to check if it is not overactive now. I am not sure which carbo booster product you refer to because there are so many on the market. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

1

Dear Shoes