Question
Posted by: Desirè  | 2012/07/11

Want nothing to do with me.

Dear Doctor.
i have a daughter of almost 2 and me and my husband loves her to bits, problem is when she visits my sister and her family or my mother she wants nothing to do with me,and cries when we take her to leave, or when she sees them she just wants to go with them and cry to go. makes me feel sad, like she doesnt need us. is there a reason for behaviour like this? thank you for your time

Maria has it just right. And so do our other readers. Especially if she's a bit lonely at home, she may enjoy being the Special centre of attention when visiting, and is reluctant for that to stop when its time for home. NO criticism of you at all. She needs you, certainly, and if she spent every day with them, and had only a special day with you once a week, the behaviour would probably be reversed.
And as some pointed out, the other family members both give special attention, but almost always without the burden of discipline, bathtime, and other necessary restrictions.

5
Posted by: Ma T | 2012/07/12

Dont worry about it, they all do this, at first i also thought maybe there''s something wrong that am doing to him but now i totally understand. 2weeks back when i sent him for school holidays he told them to tell him when I come pick him up so he can run away n play very far. so u beta get used to it dear.

they love the attention of not being forced to bath, to eat, to do this n that from our relatives.

Reply to Ma T
Posted by: J | 2012/07/12

My niece is like this with my family. When my sister in law and bro come visit she doesn''t want to leave with them afterwards. We''re a big family and she enjoys the attention from all her aunties and uncles and granny and grandpa.

Reply to J
Posted by: Queen | 2012/07/12

Its all about fun and games with these little ones. We always leave with crying kids in the back seat when we go collect them after the holidays. They visit for their grandmas (my mom or hubby''s) for the whole 3 weeks, but when its time to leave they flatly refuse to come with us.
I remember on one occasion we had just arrived at my moms to collect them. My son just went past us running chasing his cousin, he didn''t even see us! Later when they told him we are here, he just came and said hi, and he was out in a heart beat.

Reply to Queen

Posted by: Maria | 2012/07/11

Entirely normal behaviour, better get used to it! After all, they probably just spoil her and have fun with her, never discipline or make her bath, or go to bed, or anything unpleasant. Don''t take it too personally.

Reply to Maria