Posted by: CJ | 2009-01-08

Want another baby

Good day

Please could you can assist me. I have the most gorgeous, precious 2 boys anyone could ever ask for. I really want a baby girl though.
I live in Durban and would like to know if there is a good fertility doctor in this area, if you could possibly list a few to choose from.
Is there a way to clean the sperm and choose a baby girl? How accurate is this? Is there any other way to go around by doing this to choose having a baby girl?
Do you know how much this costs?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Dear CJ

The use of sperm facturation i.e. to separate male from female bearing sperm is extremely unreliable and I would not recommend this as a first line procedure. Other folk law suggestions such as change in position, acidity of the vagina etc are extremely unreliable and have not been scientifically tested and therefore cannot be recommended. The only method, which approaches 100%, is the use of embryo testing through PGD (pre-genetic diagnosis), which is not available, at most centres in the country. At our institution pre-genetic diagnosis is done for the testing of genetic abnormalities and costs are formidable in the region of approximately R20 000 over and above the normal IVF fee, which will put the total cost to close to R40 000.

Answered by: Dr. M. I. Cassim

Posted by: Ninnis | 2009-01-15

My boyfriend and I have been trying to conceive for the last 9 months and still no luck and I stopped taking pills April of last year. I asked the nurse when I could try and she said i could try november. We did try again on november but since then nothing has happened. Please help me? We are really trying to accomplish this.
Thank you very much

Reply to Ninnis