Question
Posted by: worried | 2009-01-07

want a baby, was previously preventing

I' m 24, I was taking for contraceptives for about 5 years, I have since stopped for 9months now and I' m not getting pregnant. Did the contraceptives mess up my system? How long will it take for me to fall pregnant?

Dear Worried

The use of contraceptives does not mess up the system. They are reversible forms of medication to prevent pregnancies. If having stopped the contraceptive and you now have regular menstruation then you should be able to conceive. Most people will conceive within a year of stopping the contraceptive pill. My suggestion is that you wait a further 3 to 4 months and if you still do not conceive then you should see a gynaecologist to ascertain any cause that may be present, contributing to your difficulty in falling pregnant.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo