Question

want a baby

i ' m trying for a baby, for the past 3months my period were absent but had had terrible pain on my left and urinating frequently. He said i have kidney infection and have hormone inbalances, he prescribed postoval tab, amoclan bid tab and meprogestic tab. i was sad when he told me that i' m not preagnant, so wha i want to know is that will the pill prescribed help me conceive or can i perhaps get something over the counter which might help.

Dear Anonymous

The tablets prescribed are not sufficient to enhance ovulation or correct hormonal imbalance specifically. In fact the Meprogesic may, if used in high enough doses inhibit ovulation by virtue of its non-steroidal function and this may in turn act as a fertility inhibitor. It would be important to establish the underlying hormonal imbalance and to correct ovulatory dysfunction by means of ovulation induction agents either in the tablet form (Clomid, Fertomid, Serophene, etc) or in selected cases through injectable ovulation induction agents. These substances should be prescribed and monitored by a gynaecologist or fertility specialist.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim