Posted by: Annie | 2012-03-27

Walking with weights

Hi Doc,

What are your views on walking or running with those strap-on weights on ankles or wrists?
Can this be damaging at all? e.g. I have knee issues

Hi Annie

I think they may add say 5 to 10% to the intensity or effort of the workout, and there is a chance that this may increase the risk of overdoing it, yes.

The problem is always that you want to "stress" the body enough to get stronger and fitter, but too much is bad. So adding weights is just a way to increase this stress. My advice is that if you're currently walking and have no problems, then you can try to add light weights and see how it goes. But if you haven't yet started walking or running, then don't do it now. Rather work on getting fitter through running and walking and don't worry about these kinds of devices. In other words, try to get faster, try to get fitter and run or walk further, because it achieves the same goal.