Question
Posted by: barbara | 2008-11-26

walking shoes

Please can you give advise on walking shoes (as opposed to running shoes)

I walk about 5 - 10 km per day, and weigh about 80 kgs. Female.

Can you recommend some shoes in medium price range

HI Barbara

I'm not a huge believer that a walking shoe is any different to a running shoe - it's the same movement of the foot, albeit at a much slower speed. So while some may argue, I'd always recommend that someone who walks get themselves into a running shoe. And the key is comfort. The shoe companies are very fond of telling you how their shoe is better because of X, Y and Z, but at this stage, science does little to confirm or disprove that. So it's mostly marketing. The key is comfort, and so you need to get yourself one that you can walk around in a bit and you'll feel immediately that it "fits", not just size-wise, but also the way your foot moves in the shoe, how it lands and so forth.

In terms of names, I don't know too much about the brand names - New Balance has numbers, which I find incredibly confusing (the 786, the 385 etc.) I can never remember which is which. The range I know best is Adidas, and they have some very well cushioned and comfortable shoes - the Adidas Response Cusion and Supernova Cushion are good (in the new year, they'll be called Response and Supernova Glides).

Asics tend to have the most expensive shoes (that's a generalization) because of exchange rate issues, but are always highly rated, especially by heavier athletes wanting very sturdy, controlling shoes. I don't think you need that, but you might look at Asics.