Question
Posted by: Lexie | 2012-02-07

Walking plan

I am starting to walk every morning hoping to get fit and lose weight. I am very overweight (100kg and 1.63 tall) and at the moment I am starting with walking for 30 minutes each day. Is this sufficient? After how long can I increase the amount of time that I walk? Is there a website of a walking plan that I could follow. My dream would be to start jogging once I have lost weight and have become fitter. I am experiencing alot of pain in my shins as I walk, is this normal for someone who has never exercised before? Please advise.

Hi Lexie

it's perfect for a start. What you'll find is that your fitness will imporve and you the first thing that will happen training wise is that you'll be able to go further in those 30 minutes than you did at the start. That's step 1.

once that happens, then you can increase the time. Instead of doing 3km in 30 minutes, try 4 in 40, and gradually increase the time you spend training. Let fitness dictate this - you don't want to arrive home feeling spent and exhausted, so don't force that increase until you are ready. Aim for "invigorated" for now.

As for a programme, you can try these: http://www.health24.com/fitness/Programmes/16-1347.asp

There are a few walking programmes there, start with the first and work up to where you feet take you!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012-02-17

Hi Lexie

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc