Question
Posted by: Yolande | 2011/11/14

WALKING / LUNCH HOUR

Good day,

This may be a very silly question. However I want to ask if I walk every day of the week during my lunch hour for 30 - 35 minutes at a stiff speed, is this sufficient enough for me as a 38 year old woman whose fitness level is below average? Do I need to increase the time or speed week by week or carry on the way I do? Also would you recommend that I should put on a heart rate monitor device when walking? Any advise is much appreciated.

Hi Yolande

Definitely, yes. Anything you do over and above nothing is good for you. Will it meet your goals? Well, that depends on your goals! But to do those 30 minutes is what would be recommended and it will have very clear health benefits, and I can only encourage you to do it. In time, with fitness, you'll be able to increase the time and speed, but don't get ahead of yourself yet! Just keep doing what you are, build your fitness, and let your body tell you when to increase the time or speed!

As for a heart rate monitor, at this stage, I don't think it's really necessary. If you have it already, then sure, it is always good to measure and learn about your body and how it is going. But I wouldn't invest just yet, get fit first and then cross that bridge later!

Ross

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/11/27

Hi Yolande

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Angie | 2011/11/15

Hi There,

Just with regards to your question about the heart rate monitor... they are pretty costly, so if you don''t have one just use a cheap digital watch or stop watch and count your heart beats over 15 sec, and times it by 4 to get your beats per minute rate.

Reply to Angie