Posted by: Liezl Barnard | 2009-09-27

Walking crippled and arthritis (not?) in hands

My mother is 64 years old and I noticed for the past year that she started walking as if she is a little bit crippled (as if her one leg is somewhat shorter than the other). I did mention it to her, but she told me that there is nothing wrong with her. She has been diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic since approximately 1992 and is taking daily medication, also for high blood pressure. She is not on a medical aid and goes to the Provincial Hospital, where she gets her medication from and only sees a doctor every six months. She did see the doctor about two months ago, and she told him of her hands which she thought had arthritis, because the fingers is getting thicker at the joints and sometimes difficult to move. The doctor did do a test for arthritis, but they said that she does not have arthritis. Could you please help?

It is possible that your mother has osteo-arthritis. It is therefore, essential that she has x-rays taken of both hands, knees and hips. The x-rays will give a more definate diagnosis as to why her finger joints are swelling and why she appears to be cripple. It is also essential that she consults a physio-therapist to help her with exercise to strengthen the lower back, core muscles, as well as leg muscles.